Wednesday, 21 January 2015

Oppo Ice Cream: Mint Choc Swirl with Spirulina

Lot-O-Choc is meant to be a site purely for chocolate reviews; but if there's a product that catches our eye and although it may not be 'chocolate' in the normal sense, contains chocolate in some way,shape or form then we are quite happy to review it, especially if it as delicious as what we are about to talk about...

Oppo Ice Cream : Mint Choc Swirl with Spirulina

Rewind a couple of months ago, I was sitting at work when a colleague of mine briefly mentioned in passing conversation about an ice cream brand he had encountered, whilst at a nutrition seminar, which had less calories per serving than an apple! Being the massive gym fiend, avid nutritionist but also sweet toothaholic that I am I was intrigued to learn more. This ice cream brand he so briefly mentioned, was Oppo ice cream, set up by a couple of brothers they've recently launched 3 ice cream flavours into Waitrose stores and online via Ocado - per tub they average around 375-400kcal and per serving around 70-80kcal, in my mind, this meant that it was completely acceptable to eat the whole tub without feeling any guilt whatsoever. The ice creams are made mainly using whole milk, coconut oil and sweetened with Stevia, whilst each flavour contains a 'superfood' of some sort. There's Salted Caramel & Lucuma, Madagascan Vanilla + Baobab and Mint Choc Swirl with Spirulina  with each tub split in half to show 'opposites' - where the name Oppo was derived from I do believe, that you can enjoy something that tastes so indulgent but is actually good for you.


Oppo Ice Cream : Mint Choc Swirl with Spirulina

I quickly set out on my hunt across London to attempt to find some, as soon as I tried them I was hooked, unfortunately the only 2 flavours I could find in my local Waitrose were the Salted Caramel + Madagascan Vanilla, I say 'unfortunately' but realistically these flavours are still amazing and I managed to get through at least a couple of tubs a week whilst I was living down there. Anyway, when I was back home in Newcastle last week, I found out my nearest store...a 25 mile drive away stocked all 3 flavours, so off I set on an ice cream haul and was delighted to eventually be able to try the Mint Choc Swirl with Spirulina.


Oppo Ice Cream : Mint Choc Swirl with Spirulina

So what exactly is it like? Opening the tub up the colour of the ice cream is slightly more 'algae like', darker green, compared to your regular light green mint choc chip ice creams that are so often gracing the supermarket freezer aisle - this is probably in part due to the spirulina nature of the ice cream. However don't let this deter you as the flavour is delicious.


Oppo Ice Cream : Mint Choc Swirl with Spirulina

It's a lovely natural, refreshing mint flavour, there is a slight earthy backnote, again the spirulina, but I think this just adds to the complexity of the flavour and is definitely one of the best mint ice creams I've ever had. The chocolate swirl is delicious and is actually a 'raw chocolate swirl', made using blossom honey & Peruvian cacao powder, it provides a lot deeper, richer flavour than the normal chocolate sauce you may be used to tasting in your ice cream. Together the rich chocolate swirl + the refreshing mint ice cream provide a wonderful taste experience.


Oppo Ice Cream : Mint Choc Swirl with Spirulina

I have no shame in saying that I eat the whole tub every time and just love how it slowly melts in the tub; its got quite an unusual melt to it - it's definitely creamy and certainly not some disgusting 'iced style dessert' that you may be thinking of when I talk about 'low calorie ice cream', but I love how long it takes to melt, slowly turning into a creamier liquid round the sides whilst the chocolate swirl remains smooth and free flowing throughout, I can easily make the whole tub last a good 40 minutes.


As you can tell from this review I'm pretty much in love with the concept, brand & overall product, I would go as far as to say its one of the best products that I've ever tried and will rave about it to anyone who will listen - I wish these guys the greatest success and I shall carry on 'Eating like a hippo and feeling like a hummingbird'.

Taste - 9.4/10 - Delicious, can't rate it highly enough, the mint choc swirl is definitely my favourite flavour but the other two are equally good. Can't believe how great it tastes for how low calorie it is.
Texture - 9.7/10 - The texture of this ice cream is one of my favourite things about it, I love how long it lasts with a slow creamy melt.
Appearance - 8.9/10 - Branding is excellent, good decent chocolate swirl throughout, some may be slightly deterred by the darker green colour but once you taste it you won't go back!
Price - 7.9/10 - Regularly priced at £5.49 a tub for 500ml its certainly not a cheap ice cream, but with all of the high quality ingredients in it and the whole 'superfood' element I can't imagine it really being priced any lower. I still think  its competitive, only putting it slightly higher than the likes of Ben n Jerrys & Haagen Dazs; whilst I certainly think that the quality justifies the price. On the plus side its on special at Waitrose currently - 20% making it £4.39
Overall - 9/10 - You can tell how highly I think of it - quite simple, go out and try some for yourself.
_________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
Absolutely ideal for anyone on a New Year diet who doesn't want to compromise on taste, or for anyone quite simply looking for a healthy option and to not worry about how many calories they've eaten when they've eaten the whole tub of ice cream!


WHERE TO BUY?Currently stocked in Waitrose you can check where your nearest store is on Oppo's website here failing that Ocado deliver it too.



No comments:

Post a Comment