Monday, 9 February 2015

Beech's Fine Chocolates : Dark Chocolate Bars

I reviewed Beech's milk & white chocolate bars a few months back here so it's about time that I got around to trying their dark chocolate range too. To be quite honest I'm quite funny when it comes to dark chocolate; although I'm quite partial to sweet sugary commercial milk & white chocolate when the mood suits me, with dark chocolate, I'm a bit of a snob and would never pick up a bar of 'ordinary' dark chocolate per se, but would prefer to splash the cash a bit and go for a more expensive bar.

However I was certainly willing to see what these Beech's dark chocolate bars had to offer; coming in normal, ginger and lime & chilli flavours they all contain a minimum of 55% cocoa mass, so certainly not really low cocoa solids like some cheaper dark chocolate bars contain. All are priced at £1.50 for a 60g bar.


Beech's Chocolate Bars

 Dark Chocolate Bar

Beech's Chocolate Bars
 
I definitely think this is a dark chocolate bar that would please the masses; it's not too bitter or robust and overall has quite a pleasant flavour. Nothing too complex but just your standard dark chocolate flavour with a nice subtle sweetness. Melt is smooth and not too drying. For £1.50 a great affordable dark chocolate offering.

Dark Chocolate with Ginger
Beech's Chocolate Bars

I definitely think that spicy flavours such as ginger work better in dark chocolate as opposed to the milk/white counterpart so I was looking forward to seeing what this bar was like. The ginger flavour provided lovely warming undertones that I felt added that little bit something extra/different to the plain dark chocolate base. Almost a subtle sweetness was added and the ginger gave it a nice point of difference to other alternative dark chocolate offerings on the market.

Dark Chocolate with Lime & Chilli 

Beech's Chocolate Bars

I've tried many a dark chocolate and chilli bar in my time and well, let's just say I'm not a fan. However; I've never tried lime & chilli together so was hoping the lime would provide a nice refreshing tang to the bar that would detract slightly from the chilli heat - which is exactly what it did! You're first met with rich dark chocolate flavours and subtle spice from the chilli that slowly builds before being cooled by a lovely refreshing tang of lime. Far more enjoyable than I ever expected.

All in all these are good quality, affordable bars of dark chocolate. I would probably say they sit in a similar kind of range to the flavoured Lindt Excellence bars in terms of quality and affordability. Personally, they're not the type of product I would pick up for myself as I'm quite particular with my dark chocolate; however by no means is this any indication of product quality and think most dark chocolate lovers would thoroughly enjoy these as an alternative to what graces the supermarket shelves.

Taste - 7.5/10 - Overall good quality dark chocolate bars, nothing too complex, just the right level of sweetness so the bars aren't overly bitter.
Texture - 6.9/10 - Not the creamiest melt I've had but still nice.
Appearance - 6.0/10 - The dark chocolate wasn't particularly shiny and the bars didn't really have much detailing on them.
Price - 6.7/10 - At £1.50 for a 60g bar these are definitely affordable.
Overall - 6.8/10 - A pleasant range of dark chocolate bars that will please the masses - if I had to choose a favourite it would most likely be the dark chocolate with ginger or with lime & chilli; I think the addition of extra flavours adds a nice point of difference.

_________________________________________________________________________________WHO WHO FOR?
Anyone looking for a nice, affordable, good quality chocolate bar.

WHERE TO BUY?

Online at Beech's
here.

No comments:

Post a Comment