Saturday, 9 May 2015

Cadbury Dairy Milk Puddles Hazelnut

I'd been reading about these new Cadbury bars for a fair few weeks before I actually got the chance to try them; fittingly enough on a rainy, puddle filled day! These new bars from Cadbury consist of a thin layer of Dairy Milk chocolate with various puddles dotted across it, each filled with a soft liquid centre (which unfortunately got a bit squashed in my bars that I was sent).

Cadbury Dairy Milk Puddles Hazelnut  

Looking at the bar, it doesn't look particularly 'Cadbury-esque'; it's definitely a lot more modern and taking things away from the traditional block format, I couldn't quite decide whether I liked it or not.

As you all know from how much I rave about pralines on this blog, I love hazelnut as a flavour in chocolate; however I was slightly dubious about this one, with the filling being more smooth and 'creme' like, as opposed to rich, smooth praline.

Cadbury Dairy Milk Puddles Hazelnut

It's quite difficult to actually break pieces off of the bar due to the format; I ended up snapping shards of Dairy Milk off around the puddles and then eating the puddles separately; unfortunately I can't say I was a huge fan. Perhaps it's because of the high standards I expect from a hazelnut chocolate, but as a smooth liquid filling, I just don't think it works.

The hazelnut tasted sickly and artificial and didn't have any of that smooth, creamy, nuttiness that I come to expect from a chocolate such as this. Even the Dairy Milk didn't taste as good as normal to me; being almost slightly tainted with the artificial hazelnut flavour and certainly a lot thinner and daintier than your standard chocolate bar, with the whole bar only weighing in at 90g, not particularly satisfying if you ask me.

Cadbury Dairy Milk Puddles Hazelnut

Ultimately I was really disappointed with this bar and to be honest can't think of an occasion when I would go out and purchase it; if it had been done using a good hazelnut praline centre then I think it would be a different story but I imagine that this has come down to cost and using a flavoured hazelnut liquid centre was most likely a lot cheaper!

Taste - 5.0/10 - Very average; sweet sickly hazelnut, artificial.
Texture - 4.2/10 - Really not a fan of hazelnut in liquid form.
Appearance - 4.9/10 - Wasn't too big on the new format for the bar, looked a bit 'odd' to me.
Price - 5.2/10 - Currently on offer for £1 in various retailers, standard price is going to be £1.49 - for 90g, compared to other Cadbury offerings I don't think it's particularly good value at all.
Overall - 4.8/10 - A bit of a disappointment, stay tuned to read the review of the mint variety later this week.
_____________________________________________________________________________________


WHO FOR?
Anyone interested in trying new products then it's probably worth picking up and giving a go but I can't see it being a repeat purchase for many.


WHERE TO BUY?

All major retailers.

1 comment:

  1. I had the peppermint one a while ago and today bought the hazelnut one ;o)

    ReplyDelete