Sunday, 20 September 2015

Raven Chocolate 34% Vanilla Chocolate Bar

I have already reviewed Raven Chocolate's 45% Hazelnut bar , so I thought it was about time and I reviewed their other bar I was sent - their 34% Vanilla Bean Chocolate Bar which is a 34% white chocolate bar made with Madagascan cacao butter and organic vanilla powder.

Raven Vanilla Bean White Chocolate Bar

Like the hazelnut bar, again this bar has a stunning appearance in terms of packaging and a gorgeous 3d style shape.  I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of flavour, I've never actually tried a single origin white chocolate bar, made in this way, to my recollection.


Raven Vanilla Bean White Chocolate Bar

The flavour is very subtle, certainly no where near the throat burning sweetness of many mainstream white chocolate bars, in fact this bar isn't particularly sweet at all but the overwhelming flavour is a light dairy/cream. To be honest I didn't really get much of a vanilla flavour from the bar with the vanilla powder not providing a massive flavour hit, personally I probably would have preferred vanilla beans in the bar, I think not only would they have provided a nice visual but probably would have also delivered a greater flavour impact. Strangely enough although the bar is just described as "vanilla" on the website, on the actual chocolate bar it states "vanilla bean chocolate bar" so I'm not sure whether they have been used in the past.


Raven Vanilla Bean White Chocolate Bar

The texture again was quite crumbly and although I felt this didn't impede the hazelnut bar I think a creamier, richer melt would have been much more indulgent and helped deliver a better flavour impact in this subtler white chocolate bar.


Unfortunately I didn't enjoy this bar as much as its hazelnut counterpart but it did make a nice change from the extremely sweet bars gracing supermarket shelves; a few tweaks here and there and I think this bar could be superb.

Taste - 5.4/10 - Was a bit too subtle for my liking and I didn't get much of a vanilla flavour.
Texture - 5.4/10  - Crumbly again, although it didn't work as well with this bar.
Appearance - 9.4/10 - Stunning.
Price - 6.7/10 - £1.00 cheaper than the hazelnut bar this bar is priced at £2.50 for 75g, not too expensive to give it a go.
Overall - 6.7/10 - Not bad, not great, a few alterations and I think this could be great.
___________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
Anyone looking for a less sweet white chocolate.


WHERE TO BUY?
Online at Raven Chocolate here.

No comments:

Post a Comment