Wednesday, 7 October 2015

Thorntons Fairground Favourites Toasted Marshmallow

This is the last of the three Fairground Favourites I'll be reviewing from Thorntons; another seemingly interesting sounding flavour - Toasted Marshmallow. Described as 'marshmallow flavour truffle, dipped in dark and milk chocolate, sprinkled with coconut'.
Funnily enough before buying them I actually thought that these would be my favourite flavour; it turned out in fact that they were in fact my least favourite. It's nothing that there's particularly wrong with them per se - I just don't think they massively taste of marshmallow.

Thorntons Fairground FavouritesToasted Marshmallow 

There's a nice light sweet flavour to them but the predominant flavour is that of  the toasted coconut on the outside. The dark chocolate adds a nice deeper contrast to take away from the sweetness of the filling, but do they scream 'ooey, gooey, marshmallowy goodness'..erm, no, not really. They kind of remind me of a chocolate snowball cake, albeit without the marshmallow texture.

Image2

That's when it hit home actually; one of the great things about marshmallow is the texture of it, that chewy, sticky feel and possibly why this chocolate doesn't work so well. It doesn't possess that intrinsic texture and therefore the overall effect of the chocolate is lost.

Thorntons Fairground FavouritesToasted Marshmallow
The fact that you can only vote for one chocolate to stay means that unfortunately these won't be getting my vote; like I previously said they're not bad chocolates by any means and if someone bought me them I would still enjoy them, but unfortunately they do not live up to their marshmallow name.

Taste - 6.0/10 - Not a bad chocolate but not amazing.
Texture - 3.7/10 - Lacks that intrinsic marshmallow texture.
Appearance - 6.5/10 - Looks good enough, decent sized chocolates.
Price - 6.9/10 - If you buy them at WHSmiths they are still pretty good value for money at £1. I wouldn't however pay the £3 a bag amount at Thorntons.
Overall - 5.8/10 - Not bad but the worst of the three launched, in my personal opinion. Not fun enough!
____________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
If you don't mind that they're not massively 'marshmallowy' then you'll probably quite enjoy them.

WHERE TO BUY?

Thorntons stores or WHSmiths.

No comments:

Post a Comment