Wednesday, 23 December 2015

Droga Peppermint Peppies

On the run of all things peppermint at Christmastime, I spotted these Droga Peppermint Peppies in the world food import section in Marks & Spencer, all the way from Los Angeles!

Droga Peppermint Peppies

I imagine they would be a bit like a peppermint bark truffle, pretty much my idea of heaven; however I was really disappointed unfortunately. Described as 'dark and white chocolate treats with a crushed peppermint sprinkle' I imagined them to have a soft, smooth, truffle like interior...I couldn't imagine why someone would make a solid chocolate in the design of a filled truffle/ganache.

Droga Peppermint Peppies  

Alas this is exactly what they were and not very good even by solid chocolate standards. The filling was solid white chocolate blended with peppermint oil and the coated in dark chocolate and topped with a few peppermint candy cane pieces.

Droga Peppermint Peppies


It was quite difficult to eat them as biting straight into it was quite difficult, yet they were too large to pop in your mouth and eat all in one go.

I'm not sure whether the chocolate had possibly bloomed but they didn't taste very good quality chocolate either, the white chocolate wasn't creamy, the dark chocolate didn't have much flavour to it and the texture was crumbly with a really poor melt.  I sometimes find this with American chocolates/confections in general - a lot of the time the chocolate can be sub-standard.

Droga Peppermint Peppies

The only slight redeeming quality was the crushed peppermint pieces on top which inject a slight bit of sweet flavour to the overall eat! However in a  box of 12 to say I ate half of one isn't particularly good advertising. Very disappointing from Droga, I wish M&S would bring back the peppermint bark they did a few years ago.

Taste - 2.3/10 - Awful, not very creamy, didn't taste very good quality.
Texture - 2.1/10 - Should have been a smooth truffle, crumbly, waxy chocolate.
Appearance - 5.7/10 - Looked pretty enough.
Price - 1.8/10 - I think I paid ~£10.00 for the box which considering the quality I think is dreadful value for money.
Overall - 3/10 - Very disappointing.
___________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
Can't say I'd recommend them to anyone unfortunately.

WHERE TO BUY?
Marks & Spencer stores in the UK or in the US online through Droga here.

No comments:

Post a Comment