Monday, 18 April 2016

Compartés Let Them Eat Cake Chocolate Bar

Compartés is one of those chocolatiers I've been wanting to try for ages - I love chocolate bars that look 'fun', that are good quality, but not too pretentious. However being based in L.A. and ideally not wanting to have to pay shipping costs I resigned myself to the fact that it may be a long time before I got to try some, that was until I saw my fellow reviewer Kev's Snack Reviews post a photo up on Instagram of some of their bars in my local Fenwick. Safe to say I went there quickly.

Compartés Let Them Eat Cake Chocolate Bar  

There were quite a few bars that caught my eye online but unfortunately Fenwick didn't have them all, I'm looking at you Cereal Bowl; however they did have the other two that I was really interested in, this Let Them Eat Cake bar and the Donuts & Coffee bar (which I will have review of soon).


So what makes Compartés bars so exciting? Well it's got to be the mix ins, this one is made with actual cake batter ingredients - including flour, butter and sugar, 3 types of vanilla bean and sprinkles!! So hopefully, unlike bars just flavoured with 'cake batter' it would be able to authentically replicate the delicious taste of cake! The bar is also 36% cacao, so hopefully no cloyingly sweet white chocolate here.

Compartés Let Them Eat Cake Chocolate Bar

Both the bar and the packaging are stunning and the chocolate has a gorgeous white chocolate, vanilla, cake aroma. The bar itself is quite thin but has a lovely, crisp, clean snap to it and the flavour is delicious. Now, I wouldn't say it tastes exactly of the cake that we're used to over here in the UK - normally when I think of traditional birthday cake I think of jam, buttercream and icing, so in that respect it's missing the jam element to live up to my traditional ideology of cake. However it is spot on with that cake batter flavour and in that respect I can't fault it.

The white chocolate is creamy with a lovely vanilla flavour, the addition of the flour and the butter has aided to almost give it a slight cakey/chalky texture, which intensifies the eat and adds that wonderful flavour so reminiscent of cake batter. The sprinkles add a pop of fun to the bar and a nice textural crunch.

Compartés Let Them Eat Cake Chocolate Bar

I loved this bar, not only is it fun and something a bit 'different' but it's great quality with real cake ingredients, quite often when you are met with 'novelty' bars they are always of inferior quality, not using good quality chocolate and  normally being cloyingly sweet and artificial. However Compartés is spot on here and fills that novelty yet good quality gap perfectly.

Taste - 8.3/10 - Really good 'cakey' flavour,  vanilla, creamy white chocolate.
Texture - 8.1/10 - Nice textural contrasts from the sprinkles.
Appearance - 9.4/10 - Stunning bar and packaging.
Price - 6.9/10 - Priced at £7.99 in Fenwick or $9.95 on their website for 85g is pretty expensive. However for a one off treat of something a bit different I'd be willing to pay it. At least the quality and unusual nature of the bar warrants the higher price tag.
Overall - 8.2/10 - Cake and chocolate. Yes please.
_________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
Lovers of fun yet good quality chocolate.

WHERE TO BUY?
I picked mine up at Fenwick but you can purchase from Compartés website here but will obviously pay for shipping.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention :) This looks and sounds like such a cool bar! Looking forward to your review of the Donut one..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's no problem :). Yes it was really fun! I hope they get the cereal one in at some point too. Can confirm the donut one is also good... :p.

      Delete
  2. Which Fenwick did you get this from? Not all of them have food halls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got it from the Newcastle store. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fudge. As nice as they sound, I won't be travelling that far for them. Thanks for the response.

      Delete