Wednesday, 13 April 2016

Ocelot Dark Chocolate 70% with Bee Pollen & Mango

It's been quite a long time since I've purchased any dark chocolate bars; I used to buy quite a lot of them but recently I've been enjoying milk chocolate and filled chocolates. That was until I noticed this Ocelot bar when I was in my local Fenwick, with its vibrant bee design and cute little ocelot cat perching atop the brand name. I've never reviewed anything from Ocelot before but they're a small business based in Edinburgh producing high grade organic and fair-trade chocolate; looking at the bars and the flavours they incorporate they remind me of a British version of Mast Brothers.

Ocelot Dark Chocolate 70% with Bee Pollen & Mango    
Anyway this Bee Pollen & Mango bar sounded really interesting, 'made with beans grown in Virunga National Park , Eastern Congo. Perfectly paired with fragrant mango and earthy bee pollen. Enjoy flavour notes of zingy, ripe morello cherries and apricots, with notes of tobacco and dark forest floor.' I like anything a bit different so the inclusion of bee pollen was primarily what appealed to me.

Ocelot Dark Chocolate 70% with Bee Pollen & Mango


The bar has an ornate cacao design on one side and the other is flecked with relatively large pieces of dried mango and small bits of bee pollen. It had a lovely crisp, clean snap on breaking and exuded a lovely rich, deep, fruity aroma.

Ocelot Dark Chocolate 70% with Bee Pollen & Mango

The only thing that annoyed me was the way that the mango didn't break evenly when you snapped the square, the whole strip would come off, leaving a bare patch on another cube. I think it would have been better if the mango had been in slightly smaller pieces and scattered more liberally all over the bar. Oh well, minor qualm, as the rest of it was superb.

Ocelot Dark Chocolate 70% with Bee Pollen & Mango

The dark chocolate had a lovely, light, fruity zing to it at first  - I got hints of citrus (complemented by the mango) before leading into subtle red fruit notes, before ending on a deeper earthy tobacco flavour (complemented by the bee pollen). Overall it ate really well and the melt was smooth and rich with a nice textural contrast from the chewy mango. It felt like a tropical summer bar, which is not something you often find with dark chocolate and was a light and refreshing eat. After trying this it makes me want to go out and stock up on some more dark chocolate bars. I most definitely think I will have to pick some more up!

Ocelot Dark Chocolate 70% with Bee Pollen & Mango

Taste - 8.5/10  - Really good dark chocolate bar, appropriate inclusions that complemented the overall flavour. Light and refreshing with subtle deeper, earthier back notes.
Texture - 7.9/10 - The melt of the chocolate was really smooth, the mango added a nice textural contrast.
Appearance - 8.2/10 - Love the packaging design. Only minor qualm is the size of the mango + distribution.
Price - 7.5/10 - I think I paid ~£6 for this bar in Fenwick. It's also priced at £6 online, for a 75g bar.
Overall - 8.0/10 - Delicious.
__________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
Those we enjoy a lighter dark chocolate eat.


WHERE TO BUY?I picked mine up at Fenwick, Ocelot have details of all their stockists on their website and you can purchase online here.

1 comment:

  1. It is true that buying chocolates can save you a lot. Me as a baker, I usually buy in bulk to pay less and also because I love dark chocolates.
    Buy Dark Chocolate

    ReplyDelete