Friday, 27 May 2016

Doisy and Dam Quinoa, Smoked Tea & Vanilla Milk Chocolate Bar

I'd been wanting to try some of Doisy & Dam's chocolate bars for quite sometime; however for some peculiar reason I was under the impression - even after reading their packaging they were called 'Daisy & Dom' - silly brain association. Anyway I spotted some of their bars when I was in London a couple of months ago and decided to pick up a few of their bars to try. Their chocolates are based on the notion of combining organic, good quality chocolate with certain 'superfood' ingredients to make it 'superdeliciousfood', now don't get me wrong I get the whole brand image and marketing concept but being a soon to be graduated nutrition/marketing student I'm fairly skeptical of the concept of adding 2% quinoa, the equivalent of 2g to this 100g bar of chocolate and marketing it as a 'superfood-esque' product, to be honest I'm skeptical of the whole marketing of 'superfoods' full stop. Nevertheless no doubt this marketing concept will appeal to some people but for me I buy chocolate for the flavour profiles, not for the marketed 'health' connotations, so it was in fact the smoked tea concept that really appealed to me.

Doisy & Dam Quinoa, Smoked Tea & Vanilla  


 I love smoked flavours and don't often see it within chocolate bars so it was a flavour concept I was excited about; however I tried my first piece after having a lunch of smoked salmon - which didn't end well as the smoke flavour immediately brought back flavour associations of the salmon, salmon + chocolate = not a flavour combination I would recommend! So I went back to a couple of days later to try it with a cleansed palette.

Doisy & Dam Quinoa, Smoked Tea & Vanilla

The chocolate is a milk chocolate base, 39% Dominican Republic, the popped quinoa is soaked in a smoky infusion based on Lapsang Souchong tea and then vanilla powder is added to the bar. The milk chocolate is lovely and creamy, rich and sumptuous and I must say the smoked flavour is spot on, really deep, good smoky flavour with a light hint of vanilla. I hate it when foods advertise their flavour or cooking method as 'smoked' and there's not a hint of smokiness in the flavour profile whatsoever.

Doisy & Dam Quinoa, Smoked Tea & Vanilla

The quinoa doesn't really add any flavour at all but it does add a nice nibbly texture to the bar, not so much to impair the melt if you do want to suck the chocolate but nice if you do wish to just nibble at it.

Overall a really decent bar, I mean honestly - personally, I don't think it's any healthier than your standard chocolate bar so if you're buying it for it's health credentials - well, please don't, but if you want an amazing tasting chocolate bar that packs a lot of flavour and is delicious eat, well then head out and buy a bar of this now!


Taste - 8.8/10 - Creamy milk chocolate, deep, intense smoky flavour.
Texture - 8.4/10 - Smooth melt, nice nibbly quinoa pieces.
Appearance - 7.4/10 - Packaging is really appealing, bar itself is fairly standard.
Price - 7.0/10 - £3.50 for 100g isn't that bad, especially since they're using more 'upmarket' flavour profiles.
Overall - 7.9/10
- A delicious bar of chocolate.
_________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR? 

Anyone who is looking for a good quality organic chocolate or if you're looking for a more unusual flavour profile.

WHERE TO BUY?

I picked mine up from Wholefoods but you can also purchase from Doisy & Dom's online shop here.

No comments:

Post a Comment