Sunday, 22 May 2016

Marks & Spencer Spirit of Summer Creamy Coconut Chocolate

After recently reviewing the new Spirit of Summer Dulce de Leche chocolate bar I ventured out to pick up another one of the new Spirit of Summer chocolate bars from M&S whilst I was shopping over the weekend. Dairy free is very 'on trend' at the moment so when I saw this 'Creamy Coconut Chocolate made with coconut milk' I thought it was going to be a completely 'free from' bar.

Marks & Spencer Spirit of Summer Creamy Coconut Chocolate  

Alas not, not that it bothers me in the slightest, it contains milk protein in addition to coconut milk so therefore isn't completely dairy free but uses coconut milk as the main 'cream' addition to the bar to draw on the tropical nature of the 'Spirit of Summer range. This definitely comes through in the texture of the bar; I'm guessing they used the usual coconut milk you get in a can as opposed to the type you often get in cartons, as a substitute to regular milk, as the bar is extremely creamy. In fact the melt is one of the best I've had, really rich, sumptuous and smooth,...and obvious that it is higher in fat compared to your traditional chocolate bar, with it almost starting to melt as soon as you snap a strip off!

Marks & Spencer Spirit of Summer Creamy Coconut Chocolate


Compared to using regular milk, although coconut milk is richer it doesn't have the same sugar content and therefore despite having a moderate cocoa solids percentage, at 35%, the bar definitely isn't as sweet compared to standard milk chocolate and instead has deeper, richer tones with a subtle hint of coconut to the eat. I found this made it a much more satisfying eat without provoking additional sugar cravings!

Marks & Spencer Spirit of Summer Creamy Coconut Chocolate


I thoroughly enjoyed this bar, I can't recall having seen any other chocolate bars made with coconut milk before and it's definitely a missed opportunity as this one is definitely a winner in my books.

Marks & Spencer Spirit of Summer Creamy Coconut Chocolate

Taste - 8.7/10 - Richer milk chocolate, subtle coconut notes.
Texture - 9.3/10 - Gorgeous, luxurious melt, reminiscent of that creamy, enrobing mouth feel you get from coconut milk.
Appearance - 7.0/10 - Eye catching packaging, fairly standard chocolate bar shape.
Price - 8.2/10 - £2.00 for 45g is on the higher end but for this bar I think it's worth paying a bit extra for.
Overall - 8.3/10 - A simple milk chocolate bar executed to a much higher standard.
_________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
Anyone looking for a bit more of a luxurious, richer milk chocolate bar.

WHERE TO BUY?
Marks & Spencer's stores nationwide.

2 comments:

  1. I passed this one by because of the price, but it sounds lovely, I may have to give it a try aterall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am addicted already! What a wonderful tasting chocolate bar, the addition of the coconut milk made it taste luxurious. I'm not a vegan, but would have been interested to try it without the addition of dairy

    ReplyDelete