Thursday, 5 May 2016

Marks & Spencer Spirit of Summer Dulce de Leche Chocolate Bar

What with all the new products going on for Spirit of Summer every time I pop into M&S I notice a new product that I want to buy. Dulce de Leche seems to be one of the overriding flavours they're using this year (I'm not complaining, I love the stuff) and it's even popped up in the chocolate section in the form of a Dulce de Leche Chocolate loaded with salted popcorn pieces.

M&S Spirit of Summer Dulce de Leche Chocolate Bar   

I think it's Artisan du Chocolat who make these bars, so I had high hopes, considering the usual quality of their chocolate. However caramel chocolate, I seem to find, can often be difficult to pull off; I always have high hopes, comparing it to the  Valrhona Dulcey chocolate which is oh so delicious.

M&S Spirit of Summer Dulce de Leche Chocolate Bar
The bar; despite looking like it might be a sharing sized bar is actually only 45g, with the bar being large but quite thin. Personally I quite like this, it makes you feel as if you're getting more and can ration it out over a longer period of time. It's studded with lots of little pieces of popcorn, which you can see when you flip the bar over and look at the back of it. I hoped they would be relatively crunchy and have not taken on the softer, almost soggy, texture that can sometimes happen to popcorn.


M&S Spirit of Summer Dulce de Leche Chocolate Bar
M&S Spirit of Summer Dulce de Leche Chocolate Bar 

Now to the flavour! To be honest I didn't get a massive caramel hit from this, it was a nice, creamy, milky chocolate with subtle hints of caramel but did it scream 'DULCE DE LECHE' at me...hmm not really. Especially when you compare it to the likes of other similar caramel based bars - Valrhona Dulcey  and one I will be reviewing in the near future Ta Caramello Croccante (I'll give you a hint, it was superb).

M&S Spirit of Summer Dulce de Leche Chocolate Bar The popcorn pieces were crispy enough to add a nice nibbly texture and it did make for a pleasant eat but did it blow me away and want to go back and stock up on multiple bars of it before 'Spirit of Summer' becomes a distance memory? Unfortunately not.  Maybe if it hadn't been described as 'dulce de leche' I wouldn't have had such high hopes, sniff.

Taste - 6.0/10 - A pleasant milk chocolate bar with subtle hints of caramel but I don't think it lived up to its name.
Texture - 6.6/10 - Nibbly pieces of popcorn add a nice textural contrast.
Appearance - 7.1/10 - Vibrant looking packaging.
Price - 6.4/10 - I think it was priced at £2.00 if I recall correctly. Not bad but I think there's better chocolate available in the M&S range and in general for the price point.
Overall - 6.5/10 - Tasty enough but not outstanding.
_________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
It's a nice enough bar to try for anyone I suppose, it's relatively inoffensive.

WHERE TO BUY?
M&S stores nationwide.

4 comments:

  1. I can't get past the price tag! £2.50 for 45g? Talk about a rip off! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's quite expensive. I guess if Artisan du Chocolat are making it though its quite similar to their price range but sometimes difficult to warrant it when you only see it as an 'own brand'. xx

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad I did t buy this bar now...I've been tempted but the price is just too much. Have you tried any of the others in the range?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've tried pretty much all of them except for the dark chocolate ones. The only one I've found exceptional was the Coconut Milk Chocolate bar, the other ones are quite nice but not amazing.

      Delete