Tuesday, 28 June 2016

M&S Spirt of Summer Single Origin Dominican Republic Milk Chocolate

M&S have loads of new chocolate bars out for their Spirit of Summer range, in fact they have loads of new products out in general. I've picked up 4 of the bars in total, all apart from the dark chocolates ones, and this is the 3rd bar that is being reviewed on the blog today.

M&S Single Origin Dominican Republic Chocolate Bar   

I love Dominican Republic chocolate, when I've tried single origin bars of it before I've found that it has a lovely rich, deep almost caramel flavour to it, so finding a bar of it on the high street for a reasonable price was superb...until I read the small print and realised the bar was 'loaded with crunchy jalapeno chilli tortilla chips'. Oh no, my heart sunk a little, I know that the old chocolate + chilli combo is popular with some but it's something I've never really particularly enjoyed.
M&S Single Origin Dominican Republic Chocolate Bar

Anyway by this point I was near the till and decided that I would give it a go anyway, what did I have to lose really?
M&S Single Origin Dominican Republic Chocolate Bar

As with the other chocolate bars in the range this bar is 45g and this one is 35% cocoa solids. The tortilla chips are relatively small crushed pieces distributed evenly throughout the bar. Thankfully when I broke a strip of it off it didn't appear as if there were loads of pieces in there, so I hoped that in terms of the flavour profile the chocolate would dominate the eat with the slight chilli kick being a pleasant complementary flavour.

M&S Single Origin Dominican Republic Chocolate Bar
The chocolate was rich and smooth with a good deep cacao flavour that actually worked really well with the subtle chilli kick. It was a different chilli flavour to what I've experienced before and thankfully didn't introduce a throat burning, tongue burning heat to the bar, instead it added a nice subtle hint of spice which helped to add a further flavour element to the bar.


In accordance with this the crunchy tortilla chips added a nice textural contrast which made it a pleasant bar for nibbling away at. Have I been converted to chilli and chocolate? Well no, not really, but this bar was still nice enough to eat and if you're already a chilli and chocolate lover then it'll probably be one you'll quite enjoy!


Taste - 7.0/10
- Probably one of the nicest chilli + chocolate bars I've had, considering I'm not a fan.

Texture - 8.0/10 - Smooth melt, nibbly tortilla crisps.
Appearance - 8.2/10 - Love the vibrant packaging.
Price - 7.1/10 - £2.50 for 45g.
Overall - 7.6/10 - Far more enjoyable than I thought it was going to be, good quality chocolate with an added twist.
_________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
If you enjoy the combination of chilli + chocolate together but don't want something too spicy.


WHERE TO BUY?
Marks & Spencer's stores nationwide.

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear it's not as bad as it sounds...I was hesitant about this one too when I saw it in M&S! I think they've been reduced to £1.75 now.

    ReplyDelete