Sunday, 7 August 2016

Cadbury Dairy Milk Big Taste Toffee Whole Nut

I've been meaning to try some of the new Dairy Milk bars for quite some time but I had just never got round to purchasing them; however I noticed they were on special at Sainsbury's recently so decided to pick up one of the bars (they're also bringing out small countline versions of these too so I kind of wished I'd waited until I'd seen them so I didn't have to purchase such a huge bar of it). Never mind.

Cadbury Dairy Milk Big Taste Toffee Whole Nut 

I'd tried the Milka version of this bar that this is based on whilst I was on holiday in Spain last year and really enjoyed the Milka version; however I've noticed that Cadbury have a habit of taking a Milka product and making it inferior.

Described as "milk chocolate with a toffee flavour filling, caramel and hazelnuts" I can't see that there could be much that would go wrong with it but since Cadbury changed their blend of chocolate some of their products are sickly sweet or a bit 'waxy'.

Cadbury Dairy Milk Big Taste Toffee Whole Nut 

The bar itself is 300g, with each cube having a bubble atop to house the hazelnut each piece. The pieces didn't break apart cleanly due to the filling inside, but I was pleased to see that there was a whole hazelnut in each piece which added a nice textural crunch to the bar.

The filling wasn't as soft and light as I would have liked and had a slightly 'waxy' feel to it and there wasn't a huge amount of caramel in each cube. However I did still quite enjoy it; although it definitely is a lot sweeter than the Milka version and didn't balance as well as you are left with a bit of a cloying throat burning after taste.

Cadbury Dairy Milk Big Taste Toffee Whole Nut 

Unfortunately I feel that's where the problem often lies with Cadbury's products nowadays, since they changed their blend of milk chocolate everything seems really sweet and has less of those classic rich cocoa and milk flavours. Therefore when pairing it with other sweet ingredients products can just become cloying and sickly; which is probably why the Milka version was far superior due to it's creamier, Swiss style, blend of chocolate.

I may pick this bar up again when I see it as the countline version but I can't see myself rushing out to buy another big block of it, if only they would release the Milka version over here.

Taste - 6.0/10 - Not dreadful but not amazing either, a bit too cloyingly sweet. I wish Cadbury's would just improve the quality of their chocolate, I'd be happy to pay a bit more.
Texture - 6.3/10 - The filling didn't seem as  smooth as the Milka version but I was pleased that there was a whole hazelnut in each piece which added a nice crunch.
Appearance - 6.2/10 - I do like the 'bubbled' cube format.
Price - 6.0/10 - I paid £2.50 for this on special offer but standard price is £3 which I don't think seems worth it, I think there's better chocolate bars you could get for the money.
Overall - 6.1/10 - A lacklustre version of the Milka bar.
__________________________________________________________________________________

WHO FOR?
You definitely need a big sweet tooth to enjoy this.

WHERE TO BUY?
Most major retailers should stock this.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Cadbury's are just way too sweet nowadays. Replicating all their Milka offerings from other countries is not only lazy but clearly doesnt work that well. I much preferred the Milka with Daim over Dairy Milk Daim for example.

    ReplyDelete