Saturday, 12 November 2016

M&S Merry Molten Truffles

Now that Halloween is over Christmas products have now well and truly taken over.  I always find it exciting seeing what new Christmas chocolate delights companies have brought out - one that immediately caught my eye was these Merry Molten Truffles. Now we've had Hotel Chocolat 'Chocs to Chill' to put in the fridge but I haven't seen any chocolates marketed on the basis of heating them up in the oven, even though I'm sure it would work with any chocolate with a crisp shell - e.g. Smarties etc, they aren't necessarily the size to make it work well, so I thought it was a pretty novel idea.

M&S Merry Molten Truffles 

You get a total of 18 chocolates in the box, '9 clementine flavoured milk chocolate truffles dusted with icing sugar and 9 white and milk chocolate truffles with icing sugar and freeze-dried cranberries'.

M&S Merry Molten Truffles 

In all honesty I didn't think I was going to particularly enjoy them (I know bizarre - why on earth did I buy them then? Because I'm a sucker for a novel product and in the name of reviewing purposes). In the store I only read the first few lines and was under the impression that the 'molten' aspect was going to be in the form of  a cranberry or orange fruit coulis like centre, not something that in all honesty massively appealed.

M&S Merry Molten Truffles 

 I was therefore in for a surprise when I came to trying them out. The actual tray they come in is actually safe to put in the oven, if you're wanting to cook them all at once if you have a big gathering of people, or you know, you just really want a lot of chocolate! I, however just wanted to try a couple. So I preheated the oven to 140C, lined a baking tray with grease-proof paper and placed one of each truffle on it, popped it in the oven for 3 minutes and then took it out in anticipation.

M&S Merry Molten Truffles 

Ok so here is where the surprise came, the inside is actually melted milk chocolate - which now makes sense reading the packaging again. 'Cranberry & white chocolate and clementine flavoured milk chocolate truffles. Heat for 3 minutes to get a molten chocolate middle in a crisp outer shell'. Aha. Yes it all makes sense now!

M&S Merry Molten Truffles 

The textural contrasts are really nice, the crisp outer shell with the smooth, melted innards (which thankfully do not get too hot! I was worried I was going to burn my mouth!) and can imagine these going down a treat as a novel different treat to serve to your guests this Christmas or to just enjoy yourself on a cold winter night to warm yourself up.

In terms of flavour the clementine flavoured ones are a milk chocolate shell with a clementine flavoured centre, the flavour came through well on these ones with, with a lovely chocolate orange flavour. However I felt the cranberry flavour was lost on the others. Due to only being present in a freeze-dried cranberry dusting, coating the white chocolate, the milk chocolate centre dominates the eat and I felt that actually a cranberry coulis would have worked a lot better in this one to get  that tart, fruity, flavour through.

P.S - I also tried them cold to see how they ate. Heated is most definitely superior.

Taste - 6.5/10 - Good quality creamy milk chocolate centre. Good flavour of clementine, unfortunately I felt the cranberry was lost.
Texture - 8.5/10 - The molten centre when heated is heavenly!
Appearance - 7.5/10 - Look pretty enough, great that the container they come in can also be put in the oven.
Price - 7.3/10 - I think these were priced at £4.
Overall - 7.5/10 - A different way to eat chocolate this Christmas.

_________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
Great for a Christmas party or to share with your family/friends this winter season.

WHERE TO BUY?
At Marks & Spencer's stores nationwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment