Friday, 30 December 2016

M&S 32% Single Origin Dominican Republic Milk Chocolate with Mint

Well I hope everyone had a good, chocolate filled Christmas! I know I did and have a stash big enough to probably last me until Christmas 2017!! Mint chocolate is certainly one of those flavours that I often associate with the festive period - whether it be through nostalgic memories of After Eights as a child or my more modern obsession with peppermint bark.

M&S 32% Single Origin Dominican Republic Milk Chocolate with Mint

Therefore although this M&S 32% Single Origin Dominican Republic Milk Chocolate with Mint doesn't look particularly festive from the outside it's something that I enjoyed tucking into throughout December. I'd really enjoyed the last couple of Single Origin M&S chocolate bars I'd had so I was hoping that this would be the same!

As with the other chocolate bars you get a nice informative description on the inside in terms of what to expect from the "Taste Profile" - "The vibrant fruity notes of the cocoa provide the ideal background for real mint to contribute cool, smooth flavours and a long finish in the mouth. An ideal chocolate to follow spicy food".

M&S 32% Single Origin Dominican Republic Milk Chocolate with Mint

However compared to other mint chocolate bars the chocolate here isn't actually flavoured with mint, instead there are pieces of dried mint dotted throughout the milk chocolate, giving a slightly speckled appearance. This is evident on the eat where although the melt is very smooth you pick up on small slightly nibbly pieces of mint as the chocolate melts.

In terms of taste you can most definitely tell that fresh mint has been used here. Quite a lot of mint chocolate bars have an extremely strong, almost overpowering mint flavour, due to the use of flavourings and being mixed throughout the chocolate base. However the mint flavour in this bar is a very subtle undertone, it's evident, but more so to complement the creamier, sweet notes of the milk chocolate as opposed to being the star of the show.

M&S 32% Single Origin Dominican Republic Milk Chocolate with Mint

I did enjoy this bar but I did finish it feeling like I wanted slightly more, I would have like a slightly deeper mint flavour and although I like the idea of using fresh dried mint pieces I couldn't help but feeling that they were slightly obtrusive to the melt. Personally I would have liked to have seen this executed in a white chocolate base where I feel the mint could have shone through better. 



Taste - 6.9/10 - Quite a subtle mint, paired with a creamy, rich  milk chocolate.
Texture - 6.7/10 - The melt was smooth but I found the dried mint pieces slightly obtrusive.

Appearance - 8.0/10 - Fairly minimalist, again like the addition of the "Taste Profile" on the inside.
Price - 7.5/10 - £2.00 for 100g is excellent value.
Overall - 7.3/10 - A fairly pleasant mint chocolate bar.
_________________________________________________________________________________

WHO FOR?
If you enjoy a subtler mint flavour and don't like chocolate bars to be overly artificial/sweet.

WHERE TO BUY?
M&S stores nationwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment