Monday, 27 March 2017

KitKat - Japanese Sake

The Japanese are well known for their obscure flavoured KitKat - they have the largest range of KitKat in the world! Apparently due to the fact that when translated to Japanese "Kit Kat" becomes "kitto katsu" meaning "surely win" and therefore KitKat are given as lucky gifts/presents - Nestle have seized this opportunity by producing a huge range. A fact that I was rather excited about when traveling to Japan recently; I expected to see them in every convenience store, easily able to pick up. Wow was I wrong; despite how famous the range of different flavours are I found the more obscure flavours surprisingly difficult to find, having to research on Google which stores across Tokyo stocked them. A trek around Tokyo's maze like station and I eventually found a shop selling a range of the more unusual flavours - success!

KitKat - Japanese Sake

I picked up so many flavours but the first one I'll be reviewing is Japanese Sake, the traditional Japanese rice wine. In all honesty I wasn't sure whether to pick this up or not, I mean I don't like alcoholic chocolates and I don't like Sake but it seemed too unusual a flavour to not pick up and I had a feeling that there wouldn't be any throat burning alcohol involved.

KitKat - Japanese Sake

Pretty much all the KitKat in Japan are sold in mini two stick format in large multi-packs; the Sake variety came as either a sharing bag or a more unusual bottle shaped cardboard pack meant to resemble a Sake bottle. I opted for the sharing bag, due to the fact that it would be easier to transport.

KitKat - Japanese Sake

The KitKat is coated in Sake flavoured white chocolate, you could smell it as soon as you opened the wrapper, it certainly was strong. I wondered whether it had been a good idea me purchasing this - I mean I hate Sake. I bit into it expecting to not like it; however I found myself conflicted.

A small part of me didn't really enjoy the Sake flavour as of it course it does have that alcoholic wine flavour but because there was no actual "alcohol burn" the more I nibbled away on the KitKat the more I found myself really enjoying it. Instead the flavour is a sweet Sake flavour that blends well with the white chocolate base, offering a sweet, fruity, wine flavoured eat which when paired with the classic, light, plain KitKat wafer helps the Sake flavour from becoming too much and adds textural contrast.

KitKat - Japanese Sake

I still feel quite confused about my feelings towards this one; in fact I don't think I've ever felt so conflicted about whether I enjoyed a chocolate product or not but the fact I'm looking forward to having one again tells me that I must have quite enjoyed it!

Taste - 7.8/10 - Despite my slightly conflicted feelings about this product I did actually enjoy it; it certainly lives up to its Sake flavour but offers a sweet, fruity eat as opposed to an alcoholic throat burn.
Texture - 7.3/10 - Classic light KitKat wafer paired with a good coating of chocolate.
Appearance - 7.9/10 - I like that they come in mini 2 stick format, not too much committment all in one go!
Price - 7.5/10 - For a bag of 12 mini KitKat I paid around ¥700 which is about £5.
Overall - 7.6/10 - A good start to the many Japanese KitKat flavours I have to try!
_________________________________________________________________________

WHO FOR? 
Definitely anyone that is interested in trying obscure KitKat flavours should give these a go if they're in Japan.

WHERE TO BUY?

I'm pretty sure you can only purchase these in Japan. I bought them from a store in Tokyo Station in the First Avenue area near Ramen Street but as my holiday went on I also ended up seeing them at a shop in Tokyo Skytree and a store in Odaiba Decks Mall

No comments:

Post a Comment