Wednesday, 5 April 2017

Fujiya Like/Look A La Mode Chocolate

The concept of having multiple flavours in a chocolate bar can be a fun one, hopping between the different flavours depending what you fancy. I often wish that Cadbury would relaunch, at least temporarily, their Snack chocolate bar (no not the one with shortcake biscuit but the one containing multiple flavours). That's why when I saw this Fujiya Like (what it says on the packaging, but on Google it comes up as Look?) bar in a convenience store whilst I was in Japan I knew that I had to try it - funnily enough it was actually one of the only products where it was fairly clear what it was!

Fujiya Like/Look A La Mode Chocolate

A milk chocolate product, as the picture would tell, filled with 4 different flavours - banana, almond, strawberry and caramel. It's not often you see banana in a chocolate product so this alone made me pretty excited as I love banana flavoured things!


Fujiya Like/Look A La Mode Chocolate

To be honest I was expecting a large chocolate bar, similar to Cadbury's Snack, which you would then break a strip off of whichever flavour you fancied. However; instead when I opened up the packaging I was greeted with lots of individual little chocolate pieces - I would have preferred a bar to be honest but hey ho, they still looked good.


You get 3 of each flavour, so 12 pieces in the box in total, with each piece clearly defined in a column as to what it's flavour is.

Since I was most excited about the banana option this was the one I decided to try first. Banana flavour, particularly in chocolate, can be quite hard to get right, treading a fine line between non-existent and overly artificial. The flavour here is just about right, maybe slightly artificial, but not in a sickly way - tasting like foamy bananas coated in milk chocolate. Yum.


Fujiya Like/Look A La Mode Chocolate

Next up was almond, I was wondering what this would be like - an almond flavoured cream? A praline? It's more akin to the latter, obviously it's not going to be the best quality praline you've ever tasted, it's a fairly standard commercial chocolate bar but I was pleasantly surprised. It's got a smooth, creamy melt and a light chocolate almond flavour.


On to the next fruity option - strawberry. Another flavour that can also quite often be overly artificial. Again this isn't a really fresh tasting strawberry product but it's still pretty tasty - quite similar to the taste of the Cadbury Dairy Milk Oreo Strawberry with an almost strawberry milkshake flavour.

Finally was caramel -  I wasn't sure whether this would be a runny, liquid caramel or a caramel flavoured cream. Again it was the latter, I think this was probably the weakest flavour in the pack, it didn't really have that strong of a caramel flavour. It was still tasty but I preferred the other flavours in the pack.

Fujiya Like/Look A La Mode Chocolate

Overall I love the concept of the four flavours in the pack, like I say I think it would have been better had it been a chocolate bar but the little individual pieces are cute and great for portion control. Now if only we could get a similar concept in the UK again!


Taste - 6.6/10 - Banana was my favourite flavour, all of the flavours were fairly nice, nothing overly sickly/overly artificial.
Texture - 6.9/10 - Smooth, creamy fillings.
Appearance - 6.6/10 - Packaged really well, would have preferred a bar format but the individual pieces still look good.
Price - 7.5/10 - I can't remember the exact price I paid but think it was the equivalent of around £1.
Overall - 6.9/10 - Tasty and fun product concept!
__________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
If you like to try a mix of flavours in a product.

WHERE TO BUY?I picked this up whilst I was in Japan, you can also buy it from various online sites - e.g. Japan Centre for £1.98 here.

No comments:

Post a Comment