Thursday, 22 June 2017

Nestlé Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cups

Along with the Butterfinger Coconut Cups that I reviewed recently here, I also picked up the flavour I was more accustomed to associating Butterfinger with - peanut butter. Now I have tried a standard Butterfinger before when in the U.S. but not their cups version, always choosing to opt for Reese's - which are now easily available in the U.K. Could these new UK Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cups shake up my peanut butter cup shopping habits?

Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cups For some reason I was under the impression that these would be just a standard peanut butter cup, but as with the classic Butterfinger they contain an element of toffee, described as "Peanut Butter cups. Smooth peanut centre (20%) with crunchy toffee pieces (6%) in a chocolate flavoured cup". Normally I would be perturbed by the description of "chocolate flavoured" however having had a pleasant experience with the Coconut Cups I didn't fear too much and thankfully unlike Cadbury's recent offering of the Dairy Milk Oreo Peanut Butter chocolate these do actually contain peanuts!

Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cups Cutting the cups in half you can clearly see the flecks of crunchy pieces of toffee in the peanut butter centre, which looked a lot smoother than the Reese's alternative. This was further apparent on eating, the filling is definitely not as dry as Reese's but a smoother paste/truffle like texture with the textural contrast coming from the crunchy pieces of toffee. In all honesty I didn't have a preference for either texture, both Reese's and this are pleasant. However what about flavour?

I could most definitely pick up the toffee notes in this product; although the initial flavour is of sweet yet salty peanut butter + chocolate as I continued to eat the cup the slightly burnt notes of toffee came through, which although initially pleasant did leave a slightly burnt aftertaste.

Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cups

These are pretty tasty but these vs Reese's I still think I'm going to opt for the latter, that's not to say I wouldn't buy these again, I'm sure if the mood took me I would still pick these up. However I think the real star of the show of the new Butterfinger products is most definitely the Coconut Cups.

Taste - 6.7/10 - Good peanut butter flavour, caramel/toffee notes; however left a slight bitter aftertaste.
Texture - 7.6/10 - A lot smoother than Reese's with slight crunch from the toffee pieces.
Appearance - 7.9/10 - Fairly standard looking, I do wonder why Butterfinger have opted for packs of 4 rather than 2 though.
Price - 6.9/10 - Priced at £1.00 for 4 it makes these 25p per cup, around the same price as Reese's.
Overall - 7.3/10 - A tasty peanut butter cup but in my opinion no alternative to Reese's.
________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR? 

Great if you're looking for a peanut butter cup with an addition of something a bit extra.

WHERE TO BUY? 

I picked these up at Asda.

No comments:

Post a Comment