Thursday, 29 June 2017

Wonka Whipple Scrumptious Caramel Delight

I remember Wonka bar's being sold in the UK quite some time ago, around the time the remake of Charlie & the Chocolate Factory was made; however they disappeared on shelves as quickly as they appeared. It was one of the last chocolate bars I expected to find in Japan, wandering around a sweet shop in Tokyo Skytree I spotted some Wonka bars and just had to pick them up to try!
Wonka Whipple Scrumptious Caramel Delight Bar

I wasn't sure exactly what the "Wonka Whipple Scrumptious Caramel Delight" would contain, other than caramel of course, as although the name was in English the rest of the description on the back was in Japanese and even in my best attempts to use Google Translate I wasn't getting anywhere, so figured it would have to be a bit of a surprise.

  Wonka Whipple Scrumptious Caramel Delight Bar  The bar is produced by Nestlé and comes in a similar block formation to that of Aero, snapping strips off I could see there were what looked like small crispy bits in the bottom part of the chocolate and a layer of smooth caramel running through the 'bubble' part of the chocolate.
Wonka Whipple Scrumptious Caramel Delight Bar

I wondered whether there would be any other hidden element when I bit into the chocolate but there didn't appear to be so, just caramel and crispy (rice?) pieces. The chocolate itself wasn't the greatest quality, it tasted like some of the chocolate I've had in the U.S. before, thankfully not vomit tasting like Hershey's, but it was a lot less creamy and no where near as rich or 'chocolatey' as many other bars, it reminded me of a bit of a downgraded Yorkie.
Wonka Whipple Scrumptious Caramel Delight Bar

Eaten together with the caramel and the crispy pieces it was pleasant enough but I'd kind of just hoped for a few other elements in the bar, maybe truffle/ganache or mallow? In all honesty I think Willy Wonka would be ashamed of the invention and imagination in this bar. I'll still finish the bar but if it were available to buy in the U.K I don't think I would be making a repeat purchase.

Taste - 5.1/10 - Not awful but didn't taste that great quality, fairly nondescript chocolate and the caramel didn't add much flavour.
Texture - 6.2/10 - Nice contrast between smooth caramel and crispy pieces but think the bar could have benefitted from another element.
Appearance - 7.2/10 - The packaging is fairly fun looking.
Price - 4.0/10 - I paid around £6 for this, definitely not worth it.
Overall - 5.6/10 - Fairly average chocolate bar unfortunately.
_________________________________________________________________________________

WHO FOR?
Can imagine this would be a good bar for most kids or if you're not as bothered about the quality of the chocolate.

WHERE TO BUY?I bought this in Japan in a store in Tokyo Skytree, you'll most likely be able to pick it up on eBay too.

No comments:

Post a Comment