Tuesday, 8 August 2017

Lacasa Turrón de Cookies

I was bought this bar a while ago and hadn't been planning on reviewing it as for some reason whenever I see the word turrón I automatically think the bar is going to be chewy nougat and wasn't really all that interested in reviewing a predominantly nougat bar with a small chocolate covering. Oh how wrong I was - when I bit into it I could quite clearly see that this was not what I expected.

Lacasa Turrón de Cookies

Normally turrón is a chewy honey, almond and egg white confection; however in recent times it's started to take on other forms using chocolate and nuts to form a praline type consistency or adding mix ins such as puffed rice and cookies (as is the case in this bar). Unfortunately I hadn't taken any nice pretty pictures to review it prior to taking a bite out of it - kindly I was bought this bar again though and it meant I could review it this time round.

Lacasa Turrón de Cookies

Described as "nougat praline with cocoa cookies and puffed rice" the bar weighs in at a decent 100g, looking like a giant size chocolate bar in its long undivided rectangular format. It comes coated in milk chocolate.


Cutting into the bar you can clearly see 2 defined layers, the bottom layer consisting of the chocolate praline dotted with cookie pieces and puffed rice and the top layer which is a creamy, milky truffle like paste - a cross between what you may find in the centre of an Oreo and the filling of Cadbury's Egg 'n' Spoon. What exactly this top layer was I'm not entirely sure as there is no mention of it on the description whatsoever; however I can confirm it was absolutely delicious.


Lacasa Turrón de Cookies


The praline is quite dense and certainly not as creamy as I've been used to but strangely it really works in this format, the denser texture lends itself well to the crunchy Oreo-like cookie pieces and crispy puffed rice. It complements the textures and creates an almost Tiffin like experience whilst the creamy topping adds a nice smoothness to the eat but mainly complements the bar in the flavour that it offers.

On eating it I knew exactly what it reminded me of, it's like eating a slightly better quality version of Cadbury's Oreo Egg 'n' Spoon but in bar format. The flavours are very similar, rich cocoa with a slight salty bitterness from the cookie pieces complemented with smooth creamy vanilla, the only difference here is that there is as nice praline hint from the nuts - which I loved!


Lacasa Turrón de Cookies

Overall I was seriously impressed with this Lacasa bar and looking on their website they do a whole load of other delicious looking flavours including Tiramisu and Cheesecake! Fingers crossed I'll be able to try some more.

Taste - 8.3/10 - Really tasty, rich chocolate praline with a slight salty bitterness from the cookie pieces and a lovely creamy, milky topping.

Texture - 8.2/10 - Normally I would be disappointed if my praline was this dense but in this bar it really works and is so satisfying. Works well with the crunchy cookies and crispy rice pieces.
Appearance - 8/10 - Like the window in the packaging and the bar itself looks good.

Price - 7.3/10 - I'm not sure of the exact price that the person who bought this for me paid but I think it was around £1, bargain.
Overall - 8.0/10 - Delicious.
__________________________________________________________________________________

WHO FOR?
I'd imagine if you loved Oreo Egg 'n' Spoon you would enjoy this. 

WHERE TO BUY?

This was purchased at Home Bargains (they're often great for import stuff) but you can also view details on Lacasa on their website here .


No comments:

Post a Comment