Sunday, 10 September 2017

KitKat Chunky New York Cheesecake

After bemoaning the fact that Australia seemed to get lots more new KitKat products compared to the U.K, I was granted some saving grace in the form of this new KitKat Chunky New York Cheesecake bar. In all honesty I prefer KitKat Chunky to regular KitKat, due to its satisfying, thicker nature. New York Cheesecake sounded like a pretty fun flavour, so I was hoping it wasn't going to be as disappointing as KitKat Cookie Dough...which didn't taste remotely of cookie dough.

KitKat Chunky New York Cheesecake

Described as "Crispy wafer finger with a New York cheesecake flavour topping (19%) covered with milk chocolate (60%)". The bar is split into 3 sizeable chunks making it easy to break into pieces. Breaking one off you can clearly see the New York cheesecake topping atop the classic KitKat wafer, I must admit that the cheesecake topping wasn't as white as I expected...can't say I've ever had a vanilla cheesecake that colour before.

Checking the ingredients list I could see that "powdered soft cheese" had been used in the bar but I didn't have high hopes considering the bar is essentially drenched in thick milk chocolate which I thought would mute the taste of the cheesecake.

KitKat Chunky New York Cheesecake

As I expected this was the case, there's a slight vanilla sour-ness reminiscent of cheesecake but that's all it is, you wouldn't eat this bar and think "oh my what a great representation of cheesecake in chocolate form", no instead you'd think it was a standard KitKat Chunky with a slight sour hint.


KitKat Chunky New York Cheesecake

I can't help feeling this was another let down from KitKat, wouldn't it had been much better if they'd kept the cheesecake flavour topping but instead of using milk chocolate using a white chocolate coating mixed with powdered soft cheese to really deliver that cheesecake hit. Well I most definitely think it would have. One of my biggest pet peeves is when companies name something after another item and then it fails to taste anything like that, safe to say I won't be repeat purchasing this bar.


Taste - 4.0/10 - It doesn't taste bad but it hardly delivers a good cheesecake hit.
Texture - 7.0/10 - Standard KitKat Chunky texture - thick chocolate, crispy wafer, cheesecake topping doesn't add much in terms of texture.
Appearance - 6.0/10 - Fairly standard.
Price - 6.5/10 - At 60p for a bar it's not going to break the bank if you do want to give this a go but I wouldn't buy it again.
Overall - 5.9/10 - A poor attempt at a cheesecake chocolate bar.

_________________________________________________________________________________
WHO FOR?
Worth picking up if you want to try the new KitKat flavour a go and aren't going to be devastatingly disappointed that it doesn't taste all that "cheesecake-y".

WHERE TO BUY?
Tesco.

No comments:

Post a Comment